The Official Website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines
cbcp_logo1

 

Bossi won't sue kidnappers

MANILA, 24 July 2007—Despite his "worst-ever" experience, Fr Giancarlo Bossi said he would not pursue charges against his abductors who held him captive for 39 days.

Bossi said he would just let the government decide if they want to file charges against his captors and bring them before the bar of justice as consequence for what they've done.

But despite his decline to file cases, the Italian missionary stressed he is willing to help the government in their conduct of the investigation.

A joint investigation by the military and the police already started last week to identify the people behind the kidnapping.

Government forces are all over places in Mindanao where the suspected kidnappers fled and hiding after releasing Bossi of the Pontifical Institute on Foreign Missions (PIME).

Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Ronaldo Puno was quoted in a news report saying that the abductors "are the objects of the operations now".

"The abductors will have to answer in court and face the consequences of their actions," he said.

Chief Supt. Jaime Caringal, Police Regional Office-9 director, disclosed criminal cases have already been filed in court against the kidnappers of Bossi and corresponding warrants of arrest were issued.

Among the cases filed in court in Zamboanga Sibugay province are: kidnapping and serious illegal detention; and slight illegal detention with robbery of one of the kidnap victims.

Bossi, 57, was released on July 19 in Karamotan town in Lanao del Norte.

He was seized by at least 15 gunmen on June10 in Payao, Zamboanga Sibugay on his way to celebrate Mass in a remote village within the municipality. (Roy Lagarde)

HOMEJURISDICTIONSCOMMISSIONSBISHOPSNEWS
CBCP DOCUMENTSWORD TODAYE-MAILGENERAL INFOCONTACT US